HomeMi CasaTutorialsInteriors etcMurals and ArtworkPainted Furniture

Sunday, January 21, 2024

PAINTING A 1930'S TELEPHONE TABLE TO A FRENCH COUNTRY CREAMY CRACKLED DISTRESSED FINISH

PAINTING A 1930'S TELEPHONE TABLE TO A FRENCH COUNTRY CREAMY CRACKLED DISTRESSED FINISH

Recently I painted kitchen cabinets to a french country crackled distressed finish.
The colors were so creamy and soft.  
I wanted to paint a piece of furniture with similar colors and technique.
A while back I found this 1930's telephone table and decided it would be perfect!
In case you weren't around back then, that open space was for a telephone book.  The phone sat on top of the table and had a permanent wire coming from the wall.
  You couldn't move the phone around the house like you can today.
I stenciled the top with a soft glaze and painted parts of the legs in the same glaze.
When I found this table, the handle was missing.  In my studio stash I found this knob with a backplate and it was just the perfect size to cover the original holes. 
 I drilled a new hole in the middle for the new knob.
It would have been nice to have the original handle, but really like this one.
I am very happy with the way this antique table looks now.
Original post on October 22, 2016.

2 comments:

  1. I am laughing at myself Lynda. I have seen those tables in vintage shops, thrift stores and have always wondered why the space and little drawer under it. Haha. Thanks for telling me. No really, I never knew. I LUV the finish you gave it. Sometimes I so want to come study what you do.... you inspire me so.
    Happy weekend. Gee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gee! I appreciate your comments. The original finish was scratched so I painted it. Good thing about paint is, if you want the piece to be stained again, just strip this paint and stain it.

      Delete